Sunday, November 26, 2023

Just for Fun, Not for Exhibition

 

Untitled; wood, 8" x 11" x 6"

     After viewing some sculptures in some WNY shows the past few years, I thought about purchasing one or two.  They were not that pricey, somewhere in the hundreds of dollars, locally-known sculptors created them, and, of course, I liked them.

    Still, having started out my university degree as a sculpture major, I figured why not give it a try myself?  Now, it's been decades since I tried my hand at it, and one of the reasons I switched to a painting major was simply because I enjoyed it more and was better at it.  

    So, with scrap wood and less than $12 in materials--voila!  The above construction was the result.  (I know, someone's thinking "Yep, with scrap wood and cheap material this is all you can get.")

    Now, the style does not follow what I engage in my 2-D art but that wasn't my aim.  I was thinking about the few non-representational sculptures I made back a long time ago, and how I might go about that now.  

    As it turns out, I like this better than those past works.  It looks like a model for some kind of monument though works fine as a small sculpture in the foyer of the house.  And except for this venue, I'll never exhibit this in an art show; it was strictly for fun and not for exhibition. 

    An enjoyable exercise!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment